Travel to Danube University Krems
Krems an der Donau (Krems for short) is situated approximately 80 kilometers from Vienna, Austria, in a beautiful, winegrowing Wachau region on the banks of the river Danube. The campus of Danube University Krems is located in the historic premises of a former tobaco processing factory.
As with travel and accommodation, all visa arrangements are the responsibility of the Summer School participants. Please refer to the www.help.gv.at website for official and up-to-date information regarding visas.
If you are a third country (non-European Union) national, please check which countries’ citizens are permitted visa-free entry into Austria.
If your country is not on that list, you will need to apply for a visa C at your local embassy/consulate-general or equivalent Schengen area representative.
Information, list of required documents, and application form for a Visa C: ‘Travel Visa’ are available on the www.help.gv.at website under, ‘Requirements’. Please follow all the stated instructions, including filling out the relevant application form. The exact list of documents that are required will be either available on the website of your local embassy/consulate-general, or provided to you by them on request.
While you can start collecting documents in advance, please do not apply for a visa until you have received confirmation of acceptance into the Summer School. This can be used as evidence to show that you are attending the PhD Summer School as the main purpose of your travel. Please note that for the purposes of the visa (in particular questions 31 and 32) the confirmation letter is not an invitation letter for the purposes of the visa and the Danube University Krems is not an inviting organization.
Should you have any queries regarding the visa application process, your first point of contact should be your local embassy/consulate general.
Vienna Airport is the closest airport to Krems. From there, you need to go either by car or by train to reach Krems.
Route planner to Danube University Krems
- From Vienna Airport (Wien-Schwechat), follow the A4 towards Vienna (Wien), at the Prater junction follow the signs to Praha/A22, continue on the A22, at the Stockerau junction turn off to the right going towards Krems/St.Pölten/Tulln, continue on the S5 to Krems (approx. 100 km); or
- From downtown Vienna or north Vienna follow directions as described above – A22 to Stockerau – then follow the signs to S5 via Tulln to Krems (approx. 80km); or
- From the west or the south of Vienna, take the A1 to St.Pölten, then the S33 towards Krems; at the Traismauer junction turn off to join the B37. Then take the Melk/Krems Zentrum/Wachau exit and turn right to join the B3 going towards Melk/Spitz/Wachau (approx. 100 km).
In Krems, follow the B3 going towards Melk/Spitz/Wachau. At the crossing, keep left and go towards Stein/Spitz/Wachau, then follow the green “campus krems” signs .
Parking at Danube University Krems
- Take the A1 to Melk, take exit 80 for B3a towards Melk until you reach and turn left onto B3 (Donau Bundesstraße) towards Krems (approx. 130 km), following the green “campus krems” signs; or
- Alternatively, take the A1 to St. Pölten, then turn off to join the S33 going towards Krems. At the Traismauer junction, continue to the B37. Take the Melk/Krems Zentrum/Wachau exit, and turn right to join the B3 towards Melk/Spitz/Wachau (approx. 160 km). In Krems, follow the B3 going towards Melk/Spitz/Wachau. At the crossing, keep left and go towards Stein/Spitz/Wachau, then follow the green “campus krems” signs .
Parking at Danube University Krems
- From Vienna Airport to Krems via St. Pölten (duration: 1:40):
take the ÖBB-Railjet to St.Pölten, then change to the regional train to Krems; Duration: 1:40, trains operate every hour
- From Vienna Airport via Vienna (duration: 2:00):
in case you first want to travel to Vienna (e.g. to the City center ‘Wien Mitte’ by using regular train, CAT or airport bus), the main options to leave Vienna for Krems are via Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof or via Vienna Central Station (see below).
- From Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof (station; you can also get on in Wien-Spittelau or Wien-Heiligenstadt) take the ÖBB-REX to Krems
- From Vienna Central Station (Wien Hauptbahnhof; you can also get on in Wien-Meidling) take the ÖBB-Railjet to St. Pölten, then change to the regional train to Krems (1 change)
From St. Pölten
- Regional trains from St.Pölten Hauptbahnhof (station) also stop at some small villages before reaching Krems; Duration: approx. 30-45 minutes, trains run once or twice every hour
Bus connection from Krems train station (Bahnhof Krems) – Danube University Krems (Donau-Universität Krems)
StadtBUS Krems (Line 1) and/or Campus Shuttlebus (WL 3) leave outside the Krems station’s main entrance and stop at Danube University Krems (“Donau-Universität”); Duration approx. 5 min.
Have change ready for the busses (purchase fare directly from the driver), costs about 2 €.